Sunday, January 31, 2010

Satire Website: Dream Job

I love to travel and I love to make jokes. Both are my lifelong passions and always will be. What has remained elusive in my life has been any sort of steady job or career that I could see myself doing until I retire. I always seem to bounce around from job to job. Call it wanderlust, boredom or maybe a lack of determination but I can't seem to hold a job I really enjoy. Well, that just may change. I came up with a job that on its head is an obvious satire of the disposable culture which we live in. Where we can have anything we want if we pay for it or, since we are so busy, we can pay someone to do it for us. My idea would be to make a website where I advertise myself to go on vacations for those too busy to take one themselves. They pay for the whole trip: airfare, hotel, transportation, food, etc. In return, I would take photos of the area, send emails, postcards and get trinkets and souvenirs just like the absentee vacationer would. I'd even go so far as to have them send me their clothes and I would wear them on the trip. I'd also make a paper mask to wear when taking photos so it looks like they are actually on the trip. I would also skype with the potential customer and tell them what the trip is like and put myself on a webcam so they can see me in real time in the location of their choice. Sound weird? I would also use the clients name as my own throughout the trip except for when I have to identify myself to government agencies. The person can take an expensive trip or an economical one. I see it more as a niche market where rich people can show off to their friends how they can pay people to take vacations for them and they can show off the pictures of 'themselves' all over. Now, if you think it's all fun and games, it's not. I'd also spend time on the trip doing volunteer work with local charities, giving back to the communities. How does that sound? I would make it fun and unique to each person. It's definitely a trip people would never forget. Even if it was a trip they never actually took.

No comments:

Post a Comment