Friday, January 15, 2010

A hand on art



Last night I went to the museum of contemporary art in downtown Los Angeles. There were many famous pieces of art, among the notables: Warhol, Johns, Basquiat, Koons, Raushcenberg, Lichtenstein, Miro and Flavin. Great pieces all in all and I did a surprising thing. I took pictures of some of them with my hand in front. I don't know why I did it but when I looked at them as a whole it seemed as if my hand was trying to touch the priceless works. Parts of the pieces were covered with my hand but what the also did was open up the pieces. It contextualized them and gave them some what's the word, ah, dimension to them. Is this weird? Vain? I thought it was interesting and so I took many photos. I only included a few here but you see what I mean. The hand also looks as if it might be malicious toward the art but rest assured, it is not. I kept thinking of that old Kids in the Hall sketch with the guy who sits in the chair on the street and raises his fingers to crush the heads of strangers walking by. He doesn't do any damage but in his mind he is destroying these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment