Saturday, January 9, 2010

Who wants to be President?

That title is a serious question and I ask it because I am curious about what makes a person think he or she can become President of a country, US or any other. My idea is to examine the underlying psychological reasons behind their motives. I get that some people think they can make a difference and want to see change and all that. But what makes them think they are the ones to do it? It's a near impossible job with daily assaults on their intelligence, patriotism and heart. I'd research past Presidents and even those who ran but failed and see what the patterns and commonalities are. Were they driven by ego? Well, I think that has to be considered right off the bat because it takes a considerable ego to believe you know what is in the best interests of millions of people. Is there a level of detachment these people all share? In a sense that sticks and stones will break their bones but criticism will not deter them. Do they care too much and that is what drives them or do they care just enough to not have to think about the lives they put in harms way, or the people that will go hungry or broke because they curtailed some needed public assistance? I think it's a fascinating topic and to the extent that some will say it depends on whether they are Democrats or Republicans, I don't think that matters. Both can be extremely selfish and strident. I enjoy politics, or at least I used to. I've been turned off lately because nothing good seems to be happening and both sides know it. The whole world knows it and yet there seems to be no urgency to correct that trend. There have been steps, albeit small ones and I know miracles don't happen over-night in governement but the mentality seems to be the same and that is disappointing. So, to sum it all up, my idea is a book on the psychological reasons on what makes a person want to be President. Pretty simple huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment