Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yeah. But is it art?


This may be weird but I decided to put one of my favorite movies out of its misery. I had an old VHS copy of Apocalypse Now and the cassette head was broken. I didn't want to throw it out so I took it apart and wrapped the whole reel around a canvas with the box protruding in the middle. The face you see is Marlon Brando. The movie is over 2 hours, so that's a lot of reel I had to wrap! It looks interesting, but is it art? Just because I put something on a canvas? I can see how one would say yes, it's art, but Josh, it ain't good art. Okay, I'll take that bait. To a fan of the movie, it could be considered a nice representation of the movie. My thought process as I was wrapping the canvas was that in the movie, Colonel Kurtz was always surrounded by darkness. You barely saw his face, let alone his body during the whole movie. The VHS tape represented that darkness and it wrapped, covered and consumed him whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment