Thursday, January 28, 2010

Soup Pizza: Real or fake food?

I am a zealous fan of pizza. I will eat it almost anywhere it's served. I've eaten pizza in its birthplace in Naples and I've eaten pizza at a place where you pay for it by the pound. I once helped my uncle Domenic make an authentic Italian pizza oven in his backyard in Phoenix and during my last trip to New York, I took pictures of every slice I ate. In short, there's nothing I won't do for a great pie. Which brings me to my other favorite food: soup! From the creamy chowders to the briny broths, soup can be a complete and hearty meal. So, what do you do when you have two things that you think would taste great together? Combine them! So, my next weird food creation would be to combine the crusty, cheesiness of pizza with the hearty, spiciness of soup. Oh, I know what you're thinking and, oh no, I wouldn't make a watery pizza. It would be a hearty and flavorful piece of inventive food on a crispy piece of dough. Can't you taste it? Have you ever made it? I once ate pasta on a pizza at a Ray's in New York City, but I've never eaten soup on pizza. I'm guessing there hasn't been a good type of soup to put in a pizza but I disagree. How about vegetable tortilla soup on a pizza crust? Yum! If anyone out there is adventurous enough to try this at home, please do and let me know how it goes. Corn chowder on a pizza? I don't know, it could be good. Lentil stew? Tomato? Black bean?

No comments:

Post a Comment