Thursday, January 21, 2010

Melrose Street Fair


I had this thought when I was walking down Melrose Ave. today and noticed that many stores were closed or are going out of business. I've lived in this area for 5 years and have seen many changes. Mostly good. Melrose used to be a vibrant place that people loved to go to for its shops, restaurants, theater and nightlife. It can still be that, but competition from the Grove, Hollywood, Silverlake and Koreatown has been taking some of the thunder away. My idea was to revive the area by having a street fair! Have it on a Sunday in conjuction with the Fairfax Flea Market, get the city to reroute the buses and close down the street from Genesse to Sierra Bonita. Have rides and get local musicians to play. Now, I've never done any kind of planning for this and wouldn't even know whom to talk to about getting this going. I guess I could talk to some of the businesses and see if they would be open to it. Then I could talk to the city and see how hard it would be and what the costs might entail. I gotta admit, it sounds like a lot of work, but it could also be a lot of fun and a great way to revive the area I live in and enjoy so much. Ok, I'll do it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment