Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lookin' Up: A book


I love taking photographs. I love looking at photographs. I love figuring out what makes great photos and how I can be better at taking them. Besides that, I like taking photos of famous things and looking at them from a different perspective. I've described earlier my idea of taking photos of famous landmarks and obscuring them with the surroundings around them. This one is different in that they are photos of famous landmarks but taken from the base of them looking up. It's to give the viewer a sense of what it is like to be there and gazing up at it. You get more detail up close that way. Case in point, in 2008 I went to London and saw the Big Ben clock tower. I know, I know, Big Ben was originally the nickname given to the bell in the tower itself but over time the whole tower, clock and bell are referred to as Big Ben. As I was standing underneath the tower I was struck at how ornate the tower and clock were. It was something I hadn't noticed in all of the previous pictures of it. So, I took a picture of it. I was impressed by how tall it was. I wonder what else I missed on famous landmarks by only viewing the pictures of them from far away? Thus, the idea for my picture book. I'd love to see the Pyramids of Giza, the Great Wall of China and St. Basil's Cathedral up close. All in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment