Monday, January 25, 2010

Top Chef: Home Cookin'

I don't watch a lot of television and I do not have a tivo or a dvr but there are some shows I enjoy watching when they are on and I have the time. One of them is Top Chef. I look past the blatant advertising and product placement and try to focus on the meals and more importantly, how they are prepared. I'm not a big meat eat nor do I eat any pork and sometimes I think they use it too much. I enjoy the show and had this idea for a new concept of the show that regular watchers like me can relate to. Instead of making the food so high concept and hard to conceptualize, my season of Top Chef would be to challenge the contestants to come up with new takes on old-fashioned classic recipes. Think of the recipes they could come up with for lasagna, mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. It doesn't sound too sexy but this would force the contestants to think really hard about how to make an old recipe better. The same way new musical artists cover old songs and find ways to bring new meaning to them, these chefs would do the same to classic foods. I'll still watch the next season of Top Chef no matter what it is, but if you're reading this Padma, think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment