Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Canvas face

I had this idea today and please let me know if you've heard it being done. But what I do is, I take a 12x16 canvas or maybe 16x20 and I cut holes in the middle for someone to place their face into. I cut out the eye holes, the nose area and room for a mouth. The viewer puts his face on and into the canvas and what they see when they look in well, I haven't decided. The canvas could either be set deep so that I can put a mirror in there or paint a scenery that is only viewable by them. It's a one on one piece of art. Designed to shut out the world and for however long they want, whatever I decide to put behind that canvas, is only viewable by them. I figure dozens of people see the Mona Lisa at the same time and mine would be the opposite. One viewer at a time. Whenever I am at a museum there is usually someone who spoils a nice moment for me in front of a piece. The high-school girls on their cellphones chatting next to me when I viewed Picasso's Les Demoiselles D'Avignon or the man who backed into me with his umbrella as I stared at Van Gogh's Irises. I am in no way comparing my half-cocked idea I thought of today to those two masterpieces, but I was trying to think about how one views art at a museum or gallery and how that process could be boiled down to just one viewer at a time. To shut the world out so to speak. If I work on this idea more, and there's a 45/55 chance I might, I'll be sure to put up some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment