Saturday, February 6, 2010

Travel Show: Comedy

I love to travel. But when I can't, I indulge myself by watching tv shows about traveling. There's regular travel shows of the Rick Steves kind but there's also travel shows about food, travel shows about drinking and travel shows about the weird and eclectic. They're all great and I find myself learning more about a culture or a continent by watching them. But what has always intrigued me, is what makes people laugh. We all laugh, by some estimates, we laugh in some form or another every day about 30 times. In fact, I just laughed watching an old snippet of Dick van Dyke playing the piano and trying to scratch an itch. But I wonder if someone from Okinawa would've laughed at that, and if not, what makes them laugh? In short, that's the idea for my travel show, what do people all around the world laugh at? I know we live in an ever connected world, but that doesn't mean people in Ireland understand the references of The Simpsons or Seinfeld. Conversely, I'd bet money that they laugh at stuff I'd find downright odd. That's exactly what the show would be about. Me traveling around the world and finding out what all the cultures of the world laugh at. Is it slapstick? Satire? Fairy tales? I know from living in Prague in the Czech Republic that theater during the communist occupation was allegorical because any blatant criticism of the regime would've been met with death. To this day the Czechs still laugh at it because it is so deeply rooted in history and is a part of their identity. Do Norwegians participate in stand-up comedy? Are Samoans into sketch? Is there an improv troupe in Bulgaria? What I would hope to achieve through this would be to foster some goodwill and help cultures understand each other better. We're all on the same earth. Might as well laugh together about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment