Sunday, February 14, 2010

Gung ho fat choy!


I missed posting yesterday because I was in the Chinatown district of downtown Los Angeles eating at the New Dragon Restaurant and looking at art on Chung King Road with my friends. After that we went to Hank's, the first bar in Los Angeles and then to the Blue Whale, a jazz club in Little Tokyo. So, I'm due a post from Saturday but today is Valentine's Day so I thought I'd opine on that. I say 'boo' to Feb. 14th. I'm not some shut-in hermit who despises love and thinks it's some cruel joke. To the contrary, I believe in it. I just don't believe in it for me. Well, not anymore anyways. I've been to my fair share of friends weddings these last few years and I've noticed that many occurred out of necessity or cause. I believe love was there, but there was also a real impetus to convince these people that it would be in their best interests to combine assets, belongings, etc to form a 'partnership'. I'm not salty on the day or the feeling or the specialness of it all. I just think it has seen better days. So, what I propose is that there be no new marriages. You can live together, share finances, have the same friends, but there needs to be a disconncet to bring oneself back into oneself. Does that make sense? I see many friends who are married or in relationships, just lose their identity and sense of self. It's swallowed them into the other person and becomes this blob of actions and impulses. Often times, people stop becoming the person that made the other person fall in love with them. They get lazy, complacent, and they cease to challenge themselves to become a better person because they've already achieved what they've set out to accomplish: the attainment of a person to go thru life with. In a sense, it becomes a shared misery when both cease to challenge themselves in a relationship. Patterns set in and a break from a routine is cause for alarm. Man, I must sound like some half-wit. I'll stop now and make up for my lack of Feb. 13 post another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment