Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Flowers by subterfuge

The other day I went to the Dollar Store to purchase some cat litter. At regular grocery stores it's three times as much. Don't worry, this entry isn't all about cat litter and its variable pricing structure. While I was at the Dollar Store I walked past a large display of seeds for flowers, fruits and vegetables. I could get 5 packets of my choosing for a dollar. But, I don't have the room for all those flowers and edibles. Where is there ample space? A-ha! Sidewalk planters, medians, and just plain strips of public grass all around my neighborhood. So, I purchased a few flower packets and on my walk home I put some in the patch of dirt and grass by my bus stop, along a sidewalk and in planter boxes that have soil, just nothing in them. These are all in areas next to sprinklers, so they will never go dry, and with the abundant sunshine in Los Angeles, these puppies are sure to flourish. I'll update this with pics as they grow. But that got me thinking. What if we all did this in the vacant spaces around where we live? We could beautify our neighborhood for pennies on the dollar and minimal effort. Who knows, we could even plant more than flowers. Small patches of blackberries, baby tomatoes, and arugula could sprout up right next to our community softball field. Wouldn't that be great to see and be a part of?

No comments:

Post a Comment